Another experiment in vegan shortbread for GBBO…
- 1 1/2 cups plain white flour
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup stoneground cornmeal
- 1/3 cup finely grated Violife Prosociano with Paremsan Flavour
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to Gas 3/ 325F/ 170C/ 150Fan.
- Grease and flour your tin (mine measured 8″x10″).
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined.
- Scoop into the tin and press down lightly with your fingertips until even.
- Bake for 35 mins until just catching some colour.
- Cut into squares while still in the tin then allow to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Gently remove from the tin and transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled.
It can be quite confusing to work our exactly what a recipe is asking for when it calls for cornmeal or polenta. I thought the end result was a little crumbly/gritty but I think that’s just the nature of using this product.
The flavour was good but it could be worth trying the recipe with less sugar and more ‘cheese’ for a more savoury, goes-well-with-wine kind of biscuit 🙂