It is shameful that I don’t cook with lentils more often…considering that they are a cheap and convenient source of protein and other good things. Today I set to put that right, creating this filling warm salad for lunch. I have seen similar recipes which include goats’ cheese or feta but I wanted this to keep this as a vegan option.
Steps for 2-3 portions
- Cut 4 medium beetroots and 1 onion into quarters (no need to skin).
- Place in a roasting tray and drizzle over a mix of 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- Roast for around 45 minutes in a medium oven until tender (check a few times to make sure they don’t become too caramelised/burnt).
- Meanwhile, measure around a cupful of pui or green lentils. Simmer in vegetable stock with thyme (either 1tsp of dried thyme or a few stems of the fresh). Drain and remove the thyme stems, if using.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and, when cool enough to handle, pull the skins off the onions and top-and-tail the beets to remove stalks or any other tough bits. (You could remove the beet skins too but I don’t think you need to bother.)
- Core and slice 1 small apple.
- Arrange the ingredients as desired on a plate and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some freshly ground black pepper.